Sunday, November 18, 2012

I'M BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'M BACK!!!!!

I've been off the blog.  Now I'm on it again.  The hurricane, the election, all the myriad events of my life up to and including my first wedding anniversary have distracted me from setting pen to paper. 

So what to write about?  What's really important to me, the creative process.

I'm nothing without the time and space to make theater.  I don't feel good about myself unless I am working on a project or planning the next one.  I've long since given up any hope of getting a "normal" job or a secure career (although my stagehand work is stable and both pays the bills and prepares for the future).  There is something about the theater-making experience that stabilizes me and focuses my energies that is unlike anything else I've found in my life.

Part of that inner clarity and connection comes from the fact that I've trained my entire life to make working in theater my natural state, first as an actor, then a stage manager and stagehand, and now as a director.  In some ways I am most at home in a rehearsal hall.  The act of watching a play come to life is still completely astonishing to me.

What do I make of it?  Nothing.  I just have to continue.  Sometimes, it's not good to think too much about yourself.  I'm blessed these days to be worrying about others more and me less.  I guess that comes with confidence and maturity.  At least I hope that's why.

Now for the shameless plug part.  Please visit my new website http://www.alexandercarney.com which was put together by my friend Ceilon Aspensen, who operates the web development firm http://coderustlers.com/  Ceilon is the bomb and her work is tremendous.

No comments: