Thursday, August 04, 2011

MY MOM IS READING MY BLOG


The other night, my Mom and I were chatting on the phone. We talked of many things (there's a lot going on right now) and then, just parenthetically, she said "oh yes, and I'm reading your blog".

I felt like I'd been caught with my pants down.

My MOM was reading my blog. Not some complete stranger in Timbuktu but my MOTHER, who birthed me, who probably knows most of this stuff anyway, if not consciously then just below the surface of cognition. It's really silly if you think about it. I am more concerned about my mother reading these basically inane, self-involved ramblings than complete strangers who I have no connection to at all.

I started to think about this a bit further. WHY was I so caught out? The more I thought, the less of an answer I have. I am fairly private about matters that effect others in my life so it's not as if I'm telling tales out of school about my family all over the internet.

I guess I'm just surprised, that's all ---- not that that emotion makes any sense either; my mother is a bright, inquisitive woman whose interests range widely. And because I'm her son, she follows my meandering on the internet fairly closely.

This blog is really just a shout out to my Mom, my biggest fan. I love you Mom, read away.

1 comment:

Bonnie J. Gordon said...

Alex, there are two aspects to this blog post that I'd like to comment on. First of all, I would dub your reaction to the fact that your blog is not anonymous and private "The Wiener Response," as in Anthony. 'Nuff said on that point. Secondly, it's good that you're grateful. My mother is interested in what I do insofar as it is published in a national newspaper. I can't even get her to "like" my book page.