Thursday, July 14, 2011

I don't have a job...

And that's not really a problem for me.

That's a surprise, huh?

During the current economic crisis, I have followed the emotional ups and downs of many of my fellow Americans as they've lost their jobs, seen their livelihoods vanish, and suffer the effects of dislocating economic change --- and it's made me thank my lucky stars I've worked in the professional theater for most of my entire life.

With US unemployment hovering around 9.2% I see the pain of economic uncertainty on every face and voice I hear on the news. We're at a tipping point as a nation; we can no longer expect secure jobs that last a lifetime nor certain retirement the way we used to.

For myself, I never really expected to have one job for my entire working life. I knew from the time I was sixteen, I was going to go from "gig to gig". I'd get too bored (I am marrying a woman who is exactly the same way.) So I direct, act, write, teach, stagehand (less now of course because of the foot), do
home improvements, do presentation coaching, and anything else that pays real American money. Some times are flusher than others. Right now, it's an uncertain transition --- but I know in the end all will work out.
Link
My biggest work love is, however, making my theater company RAISED SPIRITS THEATER COMPANY fly. Please check us out.

And you? As always, I wonder what works for you? I want to know


No comments: